So a week ago, Disney announced its lineup of new Star Wars content coming out in the next few years, and I have to say that I was surprised, overwhelmed, and giddy with all the great stuff coming our way. I’ve chewed on all the information we got, and thought I’d post my reactions to the shows they announced.
- Obi-Wan Kenobi. This is the one I’m most looking forward to, and honestly, if they dispensed with everything else and just gave us this one, I’d be happy (but I’m glad they’re not). And who wouldn’t be excited to learn that Hayden freaking Christensen is coming back to Star Wars for this show? Fireworks, stars exploding, and nuclear explosions–all at once–can’t describe how exciting that is. 2022 is SO far away, wah!
- Andor. I loved Rogue One, and especially loved Diego Luna’s character of Cassian Andor. I’m sad that he died at the end of that movie (as they all did, of course) but at least we can see him again in this “spy-thriller” type of show. I liked how Rogue One showed the darker aspects of the Rebellion and the tough choices agents like Cassian had to make. I’m sure this show will feature more of that moral ambiguity.
- Ahsoka. I’m very excited for this one, as I loved Ahsoka’s guest appearance in The Mandalorian. Naturally, we want more of her. And since she’s looking for Thrawn, it stands to reason we’ll see him, too. And maybe Ezra Bridger? Fingers crossed.
- Rangers of the New Republic. I’m not as invested in this one, as pilots and X-wings and whatnot don’t necessarily hold my interest. I can see how some people would love it, though. And I’m presuming Cara Dune will feature in this show (maybe?), in which case I’ll be tuning in. And I’ve heard this one, Ahoska, and The Mandalorian will be crossing over at some point to culminate in one awesome finale. Sounds excellent.
- The Acolyte. I’m very excited for the High Republic books that will be coming out next year, and as this show takes place towards the end of that era, I’m looking forward to this show. I believe it will be about some Dark Side powers that will be rising at this time (the Sith, I presume, working under the radar to rise once again). So while the books won’t have Sith in them, this show will show us what they’re up to, I’m guessing.
- Lando. I loved both Landos–Billy Dee Williams in the OT and ROS, and Donald Glover in Solo. I’m guessing Glover will continue his role as Lando; and while I don’t necessarily NEED this show, I’ll probably tune in.
- The Bad Batch. I thought the Bad Batch introduced in the last season of Clone Wars were interesting and different, a unique take on the clones that we never thought of. But that was about it; my interest ended there. So when I heard about a possible animated series starring the Bad Batch, I thought, meh. But now that I’ve seen the previews, and thought about what might be explored in the show, I’m all aboard for this one. I want to see how Order 66 affected them (if they have chips at all), and how they get on after the end of the Clone Wars and during the rise of the Empire. I’d love to see other clones, too, and what happens to them after Order 66. There’s a lot to explore here, and it could be really awesome.
- Rogue Squadron. As I said above, I don’t get too excited about pilots and X-wings and all, so when they announced that the next movie coming out in 2023 would be about Rogue Squadron, I was a bit disappointed. I am, however, thrilled that a woman (Patty Jenkins, director of Wonder Woman) is FINALLY directing a Star Wars movie. I’ll definitely go see it, and who knows? I’ll probably love it.
- Visions. This seems to be a series of Star Wars anime shorts. If you love anime and Star Wars, it’s a match made in heaven. I’m more “meh,” about it, but again, who knows? I’m willing to be surprised, and am predisposed to love Star Wars in any form.
- A Droid Story. This seems to be an animated series geared toward younger viewers, and concerns a new droid that is guided by C3PO and R2D2. Not at the top of my list, but it could be fun.
And of course, there will be the third season of The Mandalorian around Christmas of next year. I’m wondering how many seasons we’ll actually get, and what direction it will go in, but I’ve loved everything about it so far, so I really don’t care, to be honest! I just want more Mando and Baby, together forever, maybe taking back Mandalore with Bo-Katan. I can’t wait to see where it’s going to go.
I can’t believe we’ve got all this Star Wars content coming out, it’s just so surreal and amazing at the same time. I never would have guessed, back in 1983 when I was 12 years old, that I’d be swooning over so much Star Wars 35 years later. Life is definitely a strange and wondrous thing!
What shows are you looking forward to? Comment below and we’ll talk about it!
Liked this post? Hit the Like button, comment below, or Follow Star Wars: My Point of View.
Like to read Star Wars? Check out my sister blog The Star Wars Reader. I regularly review Star Wars books, both Canon and Legends.
5 thoughts on “Star Wars: New Show Extravaganza!”
The most exciting part for me was the announcement that Mando, Ahsoka and Rangers of the New Republic would culminate in one big event which makes me think yeah not much more Mando left but good gosh Jon and Dave actually have a plan and aren’t just winging it!
LikeLiked by 1 person
I’m thinking Ahsoka and RNR won’t be out for a few years at least, so we get a few more seasons of Mando. That’s my guess, anyway. Either way, it’s exciting!
Nice write up 🙂 I wouldn’t be excited for Rogue Squadron either except Luke Skywalker was part of Rogue Squadron as Red Leader right? He founded the squadron based on the Scarif Rogue One team that stole the death star plans. If it’s focused on the movie version of rogue squadron do you think they might use this movie to introduce Sebastian Stan as Luke Skywalker? lol omg imagine that…
LikeLiked by 1 person
Ooh, I didn’t think of that! That would be awesome. Although I think I heard somewhere that it might be set around the time of the sequels? So no young Luke there, but I could be very wrong, lol. I hope so, I like your idea better.
LikeLiked by 1 person
Me too lol if there’s one thing I know about Star Wars lately it’s that ANYTHING can happen even if its your wildest dream…
LikeLiked by 1 person