So, I’ve never ranked Star Wars movies because, well, it’s Star Wars and I love them all. It’s like ranking your children. Yes, there are some I like slightly better than others, but I don’t want to hurt their feelings by ranking them in writing, lol. I love them all, and I’m sticking to that.
Marvel, on the other hand, is a different story. I fell in love with Marvel last summer, when I decided to catch up on them all when Loki came out. And there are definitely some I love more than others, and I don’t feel particularly bad ranking them. I just haven’t up until now because there’s so many of them, lol, and I hadn’t really thought about it. But I’ve been inspired by other people’s rankings, and thought I might as well add my own to the roster. And it was kind of fun figuring it out; I had to dig a little bit to find out why I liked one more than the other, at least in my own mind. I kept my comments to one line each, trying to make my assessments succinct, and to keep this post from being super long.
Anyway, here’s the list: (first to last)
Top 10: (Superb; always on the rewatch list)
- Loki. Duh, it’s Loki. And every episode is excellent; the story and writing is tight.
- Shang Chi. Absolutely beautiful movie, and a wonderful story of a broken family.
- Eternals. I can’t help it, I love this movie. Weird and wonderful with interesting characters.
- Spiderman: No Way Home. Fabulous third Tom Holland outing; nostalgic, heartbreaking.
- Dr. Strange. My favorite origin story, and favorite character besides Loki. He’s just cool.
- Infinity War. Thanos’ shenanigans are riveting and our heroes’ response is inspiring. Tragic.
- Endgame. Our heroes save the universe but at a cost. Epic.
- What If. Surprisingly wonderful foray into alternate realities, and just plain fun.
- Thor Ragnarok. Hilarious, fun, a complete joy ride. And Led Zeppelin.
- Guardians of the Galaxy. Also super fun, and a wonderful soundtrack (I’m old, lol).
Next 10: (Very good; I’ll probably watch again)
- Avengers. Our heroes come together for the first time, and Loki is so good at being bad.
- Black Panther. Chadwick Boseman as T’Challah is perfect. Empowering and entertaining.
- Thor: The Dark World. Loki being bad, then being good. Then being bad again. Love it!
- Thor. This origin story for Thor and Loki is great. The Loki and Odin scene alone is worth it.
- Wandavision. Wacky, weird, and wonderful. Wanda is one powerful witch.
- Hawkeye. A little uneven, but I love Hawkeye, so there. Good transition to Kate.
- Spiderman: Far From Home. Tom Holland as Spidey is just fun to watch.
- Spiderman: Homecoming. Same as above, I just liked FFH a little better.
- Ironman. Good, solid origin story for Tony, our fearless and snarky leader.
- Black Widow. I didn’t expect to like this one so much, but I did. Red Guardian!
Next 10: (Goes from “Good, I may watch again; to “Not great, I probably won’t watch again)
- Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2. Not as good as Vol. 1, but the music is still great.
- Captain America: The First Avenger. Good origin story for our Captain.
- Ant Man. Something about Paul Rudd is irresistible. And Scott Lang is just a nice guy.
- Ant Man and Wasp. Same as above, but still not a great movie. Not bad, but not great.
- Captain America: Civil War. Painful to see our heroes against each other.
- Avengers: Age of Ultron. Ultron was kind of weird. At least we get Wanda and Vision.
- Captain Marvel. This movie was fine. I just didn’t really care. Alien cat was the best part.
- The Falcon and the Winter Soldier. I love these characters, but this was just boring.
- Captain America: The Winter Soldier. Very boring. Don’t even remember what it was about.
- Iron Man 3. Again, boring. At least we got Trevor Slattery, aka The Mandarin.
Least favorite of all time: Iron Man 2. Over two hours of Tony being an a**hole.
So that’s it. This being a very subjective exercise, you may not agree with me on any part of this list, lol. But I am interested in what you think. What are your top 5 or 10? Give me a whole list, if you want. Or top of the list and bottom of the barrel. Let me know in the comments and we’ll talk about it!